Wednesday, August 7, 2024

My Guest Today: C.E. Brown, YA Urban Fantasy Author

My guest today is author C.E. Brown whose latest release is SEEING GRAY, a YA Urban Fantasy, published by The Wild Rose Press. 

I have to include her bio right away because I love what she says about her cats.

Author bio:

C.E. Brown has lived most of her life in the Pacific Northwest, close to family and friends. She loves to travel, always searching for magical places to help inspire creativity. C.E. attests that she has a very patient and understanding husband, a wildly creative son, and three crazy cats—one steals her shoes, another steals her food, and the third is a sweetly neurotic old man who can’t decide if he’d prefer to be pet or left alone. C.E. didn’t find her passion for writing until she began wrangling kids as a school counselor, but then the writing bug bit and she’s been writing ever since.

I’m always curious about how and why authors become authors and what inspires them to choose a genre. C.E., what made you decide to write in the young adult genre?

I work in schools and enjoy writing about teens and wanted to make sure I touched on topics in my book that aren’t always talked about, like losing a loved one. Zoey, the main character in Seeing Gray, is drawn into the magical world by grief and her need for vengeance against the demon who killed her mother. It’s a world she’d always wanted to be a part of, but was kept hidden from by her parents.

Having taught teens myself, I get where you are coming from. The coming-of-age story, whatever genre it takes shape in, is a terrific bridge to adulthood for these young people.

Tells us about your book Seeing Gray.

Back of the book blurb:

    Celestials have been killing Seers for centuries, as prophesy states that a Seer will overthrow Celestial rule. Worried for Zoey’s safety, her parents forbid her from registering as a Seer and interacting with the Celestials, Fae, and Demons who hide among humankind. Zoey is forced to wear a necklace that hides magic from her and conceals her magic from them.
    Witness to her mother’s murder at the hands of a Demon, Zoey vows to track down her mother's killer and make him pay. Embracing her magic, Zoey is brought deeper into the mythical world by an unlikely ally and wonders if perhaps her parents were right to keep her out of it.
    Will she avenge her mother’s death, or will she meet the same untimely fate?


Excerpt:

    My heart stopped. Hidden in the shadows was a large shape. No, not large—massive. Hunched over, it was a tight fit under the bridge. The two yellow eyes were set in a mud-brown face with a huge potato nose. Floppy ears topped the head, and an immense belly protruded, as well as two curved tusks. I opened my mouth to say something, and no sound came. I swallowed. A low growl came from under the bridge, shaking the ground I was sitting on. I slipped and slid a few feet before catching myself, my side now covered in mud and my foot stuck in a squelching pile of goo. I hoped it was mud. It smelled awful. I somehow had kept hold of my notebook, but my pencil was long gone. I scrambled up the hill half crawling, fingers digging into the grass, terror making me shake. When I was at the top of the hill, I ducked back under the fence and then stopped, notebook pressed to my chest, and waited. No sounds came from behind me. Hands trembling, I shoved my notebook into my bag, grateful it had remained slung over my shoulder.
    No pursuit, no more growls. Should I go back? I debated, but the growl made me think that might be a bad idea. He or she had clearly not wanted me there. Was I breaking some sort of rule and invading its territory? The troll had just appeared. Had they come through a portal? Maybe they were just passing through.
    So, trolls. They exist. Check. I’d have to draw it when I got home and record what I knew. God, I wish I wasn’t such a scaredy-cat. Before Mom died, the sight of the troll wouldn’t have terrified me. I used to love to See strange creatures when I caught a glimpse. Now, anything larger than a cat sent my heart racing into overdrive and made me break out in a cold sweat. Not a full-blown panic attack, but close. Damn it. Gritting my teeth, I reached into my bag and grabbed the brownie I’d saved from lunch. Everyone liked brownies, right? I ducked under the fence, put my bag on the ground, and crept back down the hill.


Wow, trolls! What a hook. I see Kirkus Reviews was hooked too.

"Over the course of this novel, Brown presents a thrilling coming-of-age adventure story in a compelling urban fantasy setting...Excellent worldbuilding conjures an ideal backdrop for plenty of action and misadventures...A fast-paced fantasy with a bold lead character and a well-developed fictional world." - Kirkus Reviews

Tell us a bit more about your writing journey.

I’ve always loved writing, but was unfocused. When COVID hit, I suddenly had two extra hours a day since I no longer had to commute to work. I decided to use that time to write. I wrote three books before I was convinced by a friend to submit my latest book, Seeing Gray, to the PNWA Unpublished Young Adult contest where I placed third. I received a publishing contract for Seeing Gray, and have now written six books, although some are still unedited. I usually write in the evenings after my son goes to sleep. Most of my books are YA Urban Fantasy, but my latest is a MG Fantasy that I wrote for my son since I wouldn't let him read Seeing Gray (he's in elementary school). We were walking over a bridge and he asked me to write him a book about a troll and his dog, so I did.

Family, work, writing—what else rounds out your life?

When I’m not reading or writing, I have always enjoyed the arts. I recently tried glass blowing and paint pouring (finished projects are on my Instagram @cebrownauthor), and like to color and draw. I also enjoy cake/ cookie decorating and taking nature photos. When I had more time, I also did Taekwondo and earned my second-degree black belt. While I am no longer practicing, my son recently started up and I am loving watching him learn.

Last bit, links to C.E. Brown’s fascinating new release and her socials.

Buy Links:

Amazon 

Barnes and Noble
BooksAMillion

Social Links:

Website  

Instagram 

Goodreads

BookBub

Kirkus Review

Seeing Gray sounds like an amazing read, and it’s available now! Wishing C.E. Brown the best of luck with this new release.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds good. Just the right chill read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun interview. Sounds like an excellent book. Congrats and best wishes!!

    ReplyDelete