Sunday, March 3, 2024

My Guest Today: Cozy Mystery Author Mary Ann Jacobs

Welcome to the month of March, where seasons change and snow still sometimes flies. A perfect month for showcasing a cozy mystery by none other than Mary Ann Jacobs, whose debut novel Don’t Mess with Me, is the first book in her Berkshire Mysteries series. 

I’m always fascinated by how writers become authors. Everyone seems to find their own particular path. What have the steps been on your journey to being a published novelist?

When I taught school, I always wanted to write. I published a poem and essays but had little time for any other writing. When I retired, I collected all my scraps and loose pages of writing from my messy classroom desk and vowed to organize my writings and create many different types of writing.

Covid was a blessing because I now had time for writing. At first, I wrote a poem a day and sent my poems to the members of my bridge group. Every time I decided to stop, they encouraged me to continue because they looked forward each day to a new poem.

You were extremely fortunate to have such supportive friends! Then what happened?

I published many of those poems in magazines and anthologies then turned my attention to a new genre. I had been watching Hallmark movies and reading cozy mysteries in our time of isolation. Finally, I decided that I would try my hand at a cozy mystery. I considered this as my Writing Therapy to escape the boredom of isolation during Covid. 

I set the mystery in the Berkshires where my grandchildren live, and where I spent many summers. I modeled Sadie’s character after my aunt who was a feisty, independent woman.

Knowing your setting is a definite bonus when describing it. Let's hear more about your book.

Blurb:

In the fictional small town of Pittman in the heart of the Berkshire Mountains, two murders and a kidnapping occur.

Robin George and Sadie Aboud form the Super Sleuths and intend to set the Sheriff straight and solve the crimes for him. At one point, the frustrated Sheriff suspects all the amateur sleuths, and Robin and Sadie must convince him of their innocence.

Of course, a cozy mystery needs villains. The two evil villains are Chester Fergusson, a realtor and con artist who is trying to buy up all the property on Farley Square, and Mopey Tyler, a suspected drug dealer and the owner of a smut shop. When they hatch their kidnapping plan, they involve Mike’s Dad, who owns the local bowling alley.

Excerpt:

Suspicions Revealed and Rebuked

            Sheriff Houtman frowned at the boys as he listened to their allegations, then he said, “If I catch any of you, and that includes the grownups in this room, inserting yourselves into our investigation, I’ll arrest you for obstruction of justice.”

            “We are looking for a murderer who is probably still right here in our town. It is too dangerous to be playing amateur detective. Do you understand me? Sadie, Robin, and Lola, this means you.”

            We all looked guilty and nodded our heads. I’m pretty he didn’t believe a thing we just reported. He then turned and left in a hurry.

Sounds like a perfect cozy to enjoy on spring break. Now that you have a novel with your name on the cover, what have you been doing?

            Don’t Mess with Me is now one year old. I have enjoyed going to many book clubs that have read my book. I enjoy the fact that when I ask the readers if they guessed the ending, the majority say they never guessed it. I also ask what they would like to see in the second book in the series, and I have included many of those suggestions into the second book in the Berkshire Mystery Series.

            The second book is now under contract with The Wild Rose Press, and we will begin to edit it in March.

            Since I love to cook, I have modernized my grandmother’s Lebanese dishes and included a couple recipes at the end of each book. I’m sure Sadie must serve these recipes at Sweet Indulgences, her fictional restaurant in Pittman.

Oh, could you share a recipe? I’m always looking for new dishes, and I’m sure my readers are too.

Creative Leftovers

In my family, we often use lamb in recipes. When we use ground lamb in rice and sauce or kousa, we often have leftover ground lamb.

Scrambled Eggs and lamb

1.     In a skillet, place 1 chopped onion, 2 tablespoons of pine nuts, and a pat of butter. Add leftover lamb then fry.

2.     Whip 4 or 5 eggs in a bowl.

3.     Add eggs to the lamb, onion, and pine nuts mixture, and scramble lightly in a skillet.

4.     Do not let the scrambled eggs get hard.

5.     Serve with heated pita bread.

I want to thank Mary Ann for visiting today and sharing her book and writing journey. For more information and to check out Don’t Mess with Me, click on the links below.

Buy links:

https://www.amazon.com/Dont-Mess-Berkshires-Mystery-Book-ebook/dp/B0BKYF5HJV/ref=sr_1_1?crid=19PG1A36M97U0&keywords=Don%27t+Mess+with+Me+by+mary+ann+jacobs&qid=16

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dont-mess-with-me-mary-ann-jacobs/1142600182?ean=2940186700777

Contact the author at maryannjacobsauthor@gmail.com

https://www.facebook.com/maryannjacobsauthor

Website: maryannjacobsauthor.wordpress.com

Twitter: maryann68592654

https://www.bookbub.com/reviews/1878950818?source=link_share

 

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I enjoyed reading your book and the background information behind it made the experience even more enjoyable. Susie Black

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book sounds very good! And thank you for the recipe. I'm going to try it with pork.

    ReplyDelete