Monday, November 20, 2023

Book Spotlight: RIGHTSIDE/WRONGSIDE by Cathy Hester Seckman

With women's rights and threats thereto a hot topic in the news these days, no one should be surprised by the plethora of sci-fi, fantasy, and dystopian literature dedicated to exploring the what-ifs of the issue. One such intriguing entry available now from The Wild Rose Press is RIGHTSIDE/WRONGSIDE by Cathy Hester Seckman. 

Here’s the blurb:

On Rightside/Wrongside, women are in charge and men live behind a 200-mile Border Fence. Their only interactions are for sex, which women control with force and long-entrenched law. Mothers raise daughters, and fathers know nothing of them. Women send sons across the Fence to their fathers and never know if they live or die. New Rightside president Alanna Olaffson believes, along with her countrywomen, that female empowerment is a good thing, a necessary thing, right up to the time it goes frighteningly wrong.

And an excerpt:

The old man dozed over his paperback. Even in a busy week his job was boring as hell. What made it worthwhile, besides the status and the pay bag, was the free bed. Old Willie lived right in the Transfer Cabin, backed up against the Border Fence in Cody, and that suited him fine. He took his meals at a bar down the street - had a few good friends there - and spent most of his free time nodding over a book or stoking his small stove.

It was a nice quiet life, a safe life. Nobody bothered the man in the Transfer Cabin. Yeah, it suited him fine.

The bell rang, startling him out of his doze. It wasn’t a simple ring, for boxed goods or vehicles through the big Door, but the four-note flourish they used for a baby. It sounded again, signaling two to transfer. “It never rains but it pours,” he mumbled, and limped over to answer the bell.

When the ready light flashed on, Old Willie pulled out the heavy metal Drawer set into the back wall of the cabin. He smiled down at the two sleeping babies.

“Welcome to Wrongside,” he said softly.

 This is such an intriguing concept. How did you come up with the idea?

Rightside/Wrongside began 14 years ago as the glimmer of an idea about the societal interactions between women and men. I’m old enough to remember when fathers worked, cut the grass, and drove the car while women stayed home, had babies, and cooked dinner every night. What would it be like, I wondered, if those 1950s roles were reversed? In fact, how would society work if women and men were so alienated from each other that they lived in separate countries? What would happen…?

Sci-fi requires a lot of worldbuilding. How did you go about creating the physical and political setting?

Rightside and Wrongside are on a planet that had been colonized from Earth 71 years earlier. I wasn’t interested in seeing how odd and alien I could make the planet, so it mostly looks like ours. The flora and fauna were named by the colonists after the Earth plants and animals they most resembled. I dropped alien hints once in awhile, though. There are two moons. Each day has 27 hours, and each month has 34 days. Puppies have blue fur.

I wanted the language to have evolved a bit in 71 years, and figured the easiest way to do that was to change their exclamations and curse words. For instance, instead of saying ‘my own damn country,’ the men say ‘my own Yong country.’ Instead of saying ‘thank God,’ the women say ‘thank Milina.’ You can probably guess those are proper names, but you’ll have to read the book to find out who they are.

I'm fascinated by the map you included. How did that come about? 

I’ve had a map of the planet in my head for years, and just before publication I asked my friend Susan Dexter, an artist and fantasy author, to draw it for me. There are locations on the map that are not used in the book, and that’s because at least two sequels are coming: Oceanside and Mountainside.

Now let’s hear about you:

I took a winding road to the writing life, but here I am. As a teenager I was too shy and backward to admit to anyone that I wanted to be a writer, so I followed my sister into dental hygiene. Ten years later the road took its first bend when I had the opportunity to work for my local newspaper as a lifestyles editor. I climbed the (very short) ladder available to me there and eventually became wire editor, features editor, and columnist. When I left the paper I took my writing skills with me to work for other newspapers and for magazines. The most fun I ever had as a magazine writer was working for the True magazines. Remember those? True Love, True Story, True Romance – I wrote for them all, until they folded. Sigh.

The next bend in the road took me to nonfiction, and I became a book indexer. Twenty years later I still index on a limited basis. I eventually had one middle-grade novel and two nonfiction books published, plus three indie books written with writers’ group friends. Rightside/Wrongside is my newest (and best) effort.

My husband and I live in Ohio, and our activities include gardening, canning, hiking, traveling, camping, and motorcycling. I’ve had a motorcycle license since 1985, and presently ride a three-wheeler because of bad knees.

Visit me at

Cathy Hester Seckman - Home (cathyseckman.com)

(20+) Facebook

Purchase links for RIGHTSIDE/WRONGSIDE, a book that is sure to stretch your imagination and provide plenty of food for thought:

Rightside/Wrongside a book by Cathy Hester Seckman bookshop.org)

Amazon.com: Rightside/Wrongside eBook : Seckman, Cathy Hester : Kindle Store

Rightside/Wrongside by Cathy Hester Seckman | eBook | Barnes & Noble® (barnesandnoble.com)

2 comments: