Monday, January 30, 2023

My Guest Today: Author Jennifer Ivy Walker

 I have the honor of hosting fellow Wild Rose Press author Jennifer Ivy Walker on the happy occasion of her latest release, THE LADY OF THE MIRRORED LAKE. This is the second book in Walker’s thrilling and darkly romantic fantasy trilogy based on the legend of Tristan and Isolde/Issylte. Here's my review:

💖💖💖💖💖A wildly romantic adventure filled with the stuff of legends: elemental magic, evil dwarves, helpful fairies, dark wizards, treacherous villains, honorable knights, and a great love story. Together at last, Tristan and Issylte cement their fated bond, becoming partners in both marriage and Lancelot’s Tribe. Yet both must face tests, together and separately, trials that force Issylte to move between worlds and Tristan to endure great suffering. Just when the reader thinks she has a moment to breathe, the author throws up another seemingly impossible obstacle to their quest to win back what each has lost. The Lady of the Mirrored Lake is a beautifully rendered dark fairy tale of a love for the ages and a terrific sequel to The Wild Rose and the Sea Raven.

Tell us, what drew you to write about this legend?

When I earned my MA in French literature, I fell in love with the medieval legend of Tristan et Yseult. As a high school French teacher, I had my advanced classes read that medieval roman courtois as part of our study of France in the Middle Ages. I enhanced my students’ learning by illustrating the story with puppets, playing the French musical, “Tristan et Yseult” (with Magali Neslot and Solal), teaching a medieval Breton dance as we danced to the song, “Les Noces” from that musical, 

and watching the French version of the film “Tristan and Isolde” (with James Franco and Sophia Myles), culminating in “Le Théâtre en Classe”-- where my students reenacted the story in costumes, even performing a play I had written for them at the annual state French competition.  I decided to write my trilogy based on my love for the medieval legend, the different musical, theatrical, and cinematographic interpretations of that French tale, and the play I had written for my students.

I’ve always been drawn to this legend too, but it’s so tragic. How did you deal with that?

I never liked the tragic ending of the original medieval legend. Tristan and Yseult pined for each other throughout the story and ended up dying of broken hearts, much like Romeo and Juliette. Although I did retain a lot of the original storyline in developing my trilogy, I created new characters and rewove the plot with much more inclusion of the Arthurian myth related to the French legend. I also incorporated paranormal fantasy elements, such as Druids, forest fairies, Elves, dwarves, and dark lore from the mystical Forest of Brocéliande. I even created my own version of Avalon --based on French research--with an entirely different ending than the original medieval French legend of Tristan et Yseult

Wow! How did you tackle all that world building?

I read and researched French legends from the enchanted Forest of Brocéliande for many aspects of the fantasy world, including tales of Lancelot, Merlin, the Lady of the Lake, and Avalon. I also drew upon my childhood experiences growing up on a tidal bay in Maine and my keen interest in plants, herbs, and healing crystals. I’ve always loved Victor Hugo’s works, having studied French Romanticism with a passion, and I incorporated that love and creative inspiration into my novels as well.  As a French teacher, I frequently traveled to France, visiting châteaux, sites of medieval pilgrimage, and troglodyte caves of the Loire Valley. I blended all of this together, weaving in certain aspects of fairy tales, such as Snow White and Sleeping Beauty, to embroider the medieval legend of Tristan et Yseult with creative, vivid imagery and fiery, romantic passion.

Your deep passion for your subject shows in the immersive detail that seems to be a trademark of your stories. What’s next for you?

“The Emerald Fairy and the Dragon Knight”—book 3 and the conclusion of The Wild Rose and the Sea Raven trilogy—will be published this spring. And I am delighted that my novel, “Winter Solstice in the Crystal Castle”, will be published later this year as well. It’s a medieval romance between a feisty French Viking princess forced to marry a man she loathes and the sullen, chivalrous knight who suffers an impossible love for his vibrant, valiant Valkyrie.

Sounds amazing! Where can readers connect with you?

Website:  https://jenniferivywalker.com/

Goodreads Author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/22671046.Jennifer_Ivy_Walker

Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/books/the-lady-of-the-mirrored-lake-the-wild-rose-and-the-sea-raven-book-2-by-jennifer-ivy-walker

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JenniferIvyWalker

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/bohemienneivy

Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/jenniferivywalkerauthor/

Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@jenniferivywalker

Amazon link:  https://www.amazon.com/Lady-Mirrored-Lake-Wild-Raven-ebook/dp/B0BKYHZGFJ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=13647SWRD1MQV&keywords=lady+of+the+mirrored+lake&qid=1673574202&sprefix=lady+of+the+mirrored%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-1

Barnes and Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-lady-of-the-mirrored-lake-jennifer-ivy-walker/1142600233?ean=2940186700920

Thanks so much for visiting, and best of luck with this and your soon-to-come releases!

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for featuring me today, Helen, for the new release of The Lady of the Mirrored Lake, book 2 of The Wild Rose and the Sea Raven trilogy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thank you also for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I loved this book too, BTW :) Jennifer, continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a wonderful book. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait for book three and the Valkyrie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful series, Ivy! Looking forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete