Saturday, April 18, 2020

Life in the Time of the Virus--Rediscovering old-time Skills

While we're all at home relying on modern technology to stay in touch, order food, and be entertained, this virus has inspired some of us to dust off old-time skills that not so very long ago were still taught in school. I speak of sewing.

I am one of those who still has a sewing machine, who learned to hand-sew and embroider, who learned to use a pattern to create. Since my children grew up, that sewing machine mostly sat in my closet, sometimes for more than a year at a time. Now I've pulled it out to make protective masks for my family members. Fortunately, I still had yards of fabric, also tucked away in a closet, and sewing supplies. But any two kinds of material will work for the pattern I have. Also, I had some elastic for the ear ties, but I ran out of that, so I'm using those ponytail bands you can buy in a multi-pack. I'm sewing my pattern pieces, but I suspect a hot-glue gun would work too, to fasten the pieces together. Whatever will hold up during repeated washings will work.

For those who are interested in making protective masks, here's where I downloaded my pattern: https://www.prohealthcare.org/app/files/public/1598/MaskPattern.pdf

There are lots of patterns and instruction videos online beyond this one, including some that don't require a sewing machine or sewing skills. Still, I'm glad I got to rediscover an old-time skill and use it to benefit my family. Stay safe and healthy, everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment